What do you think about Lille?

They're a good team, very attack-minded. Hazard is clearly talented, he has speed and technique but he's probably still inconsistent. They're probably weak at the back, their centre-backs are physically strong but they're very slow, especially Basa. Chedjou is better and showed good technique and composure but I was bothered by his behaviour when Pazzini unintentionally, slightly elbowed him and he went down screaming in pain as if somebody had sniped him from the stands. I wasn't impressed with their left-full back Beria, he had plenty of space to overlap in the 2nd half but hardly ever ventured forward. The right flank with Debuchy and Balmont was much more of a threat. Sow in my opinion, he's a better forward than he appeared to be and Payet was dangerous when he came on, thankfully Julio Cesar made an outstanding save.

YouthGoneWild you're right about our team :) Chedjou played very well on Tuesday (I didn't hear his screaming cause I was in the Stadium but I've heard about it and I agree with you). We've been a little disappointed with Hazard, he can play much better than that but he is only 20 he has time to progress.
Beria is a good player for Ligue 1, but Champions League is one level above. The problem is that he is right-footed and he plays as a left-full back... But he defended well against Maicon !

About the game we are really frustrated, we had the ball possession, had some chances (not enough). But experience and realism made the difference... I have to say that Pazzini's goal is nice !
On your side Sneijder was quite impressive, he always finds the solution and Julio Cesar made important saves. I liked Zarate too.

Revenge in two weeks ! :D

I don't think we can relax a whole lot just because we beat lille by a goal - they are a decent enough team and they gave us trouble on occasion, though we held well overall. But they seem to be a bit flat-footed in defense and we have to take advantage of that even in the return leg. But if we try going all out on the attack we could get burned badly on their counter.

Fortunately most of our players are too slow to go all out on the attack :ghigno:

YouthGoneWild you're right about our team :) Chedjou played very well on Tuesday (I didn't hear his screaming cause I was in the Stadium but I've heard about it and I agree with you). We've been a little disappointed with Hazard, he can play much better than that but he is only 20 he has time to progress.
Beria is a good player for Ligue 1, but Champions League is one level above. The problem is that he is right-footed and he plays as a left-full back... But he defended well against Maicon !

About the game we are really frustrated, we had the ball possession, had some chances (not enough). But experience and realism made the difference... I have to say that Pazzini's goal is nice !
On your side Sneijder was quite impressive, he always finds the solution and Julio Cesar made important saves. I liked Zarate too.

Revenge in two weeks ! :D

I don't know, maybe Pazzini really hurted him but most likely, he just wanted to induce the referee to caution our striker. That aside, he played a good game as I said. Yes, Beria defended well against Maicon but the Brazilian had one of his worst games ever, I would say he's not the same player that he used to be, he's lazy, poor at defending, predictable when going forward. I wonder if we'll ever see the phenomenal full-back of 2-3 years ago, very unlikely.

I haven't watched your games vs CSKA and Trabzonspor, only the highlights, but I think that you should have had at least 6 points by now. You probably lack experience in this competition. Against us, you held the ball possession for most part of the match and you collected lots of corner-kicks, plus 2-3 important chances but Julio Cesar got in the way. I would say that in general, our defense, which has been abysmal so far, coped well with your attackers. Sneijder is an extraordinary player, probably the most important one for us, he takes set-pieces wonderfully, brilliantly sets up our strikers for scoring and he makes the team tick with his amazing vision and passing range. Thiago Motta, although slow and and dirty, can pick up the ball from the defenders and distribute play, his comeback is also good news. Zarate has been harshly criticized by fans and some aren't happy with his signing but I would say he has those qualities (unpredictability, speed, technique) that most of our players lack. He had his best performances in the Champions League so far whereas he still has to prove decisive in the Serie A.

I expect another tough game for us at home, also 'cause surprisingly we had our worst games at San Siro but we have to win to secure a place in the round of 16. Anyway, bonne chance :D

I don't think we can relax a whole lot just because we beat lille by a goal - they are a decent enough team and they gave us trouble on occasion, though we held well overall. But they seem to be a bit flat-footed in defense and we have to take advantage of that even in the return leg. But if we try going all out on the attack we could get burned badly on their counter.Fortunately most of our players are too slow to go all out on the attack :ghigno:

Exactly, I think we have to opt for a defensive approach also in the game at home. Although we kept a clean sheet on Tuesday, Lille have the kind of attackers that could put our defense into trouble and same story for CSKA. What really matters now is getting as many wins as we can, when the team is more confident and when we improve tactically, we'll think about imposing ourselves and try to win games in another way than defending and hitting on the counter even if you can never expect to see brilliant football under Ranieri :dente

Alto